Wednesday, November 10, 2010

ESTJ

If you've ever taken a myers-briggs personality type test, you will understand exactly what I'm talking about.  If you have never taken this test, you should.  Here's a free online one:  http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.aspYou can learn a lot about yourself and it will help you understand what I'm talking about.  I'm an ESTJ.  In case you are unfamiliar with the terminology, that is E for Extroverted as opposed to Introverted, S for Sensing instead of Intuitive, T for Thinking instead instead of Feeling, and J for Judging instead of Perceiving.  I say all of that to demonstrate that Judging is in my very nature.  It comes natural to me.  That judging nature comes in handy when it is time to make a decision because I can quickly assess a situation and make the right call.  I like that about me.  Where it gets me in trouble is when I try to assess people like I do a situation, because God's word is very clear in the fact that that only He sees the heart.  


I read an article in men's health a few weeks ago and it caught my attention because the author was roughly the same dimensions as me.  The gist of the article from his perspective was, "I hated fat people until I found out I was one of them".  He went on to describe the health risks of his current state and talked a little bit about BMI (body mass index) and why the numbers are set where they are.  When he crunched the numbers he landed solidly in the overweight category and was only a few digits away from obesity.  He came to the conclusion that our culture has become so overweight that he had gotten comfortable with his current situation to the point where he was being judgmental of people that struggled with the same issue he was dealing with.  We as Christians can fall into the exact same trap.  We get so comfortable with the sin in our hearts that we become delusional in thinking we have it all figured out.  We even go as far as looking with disdain on those who struggle with the same things we struggle with.   


Romans 2:5-11
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.


Paul makes it clear that the time to deal with sin is now.  Repentance means not only asking for forgiveness, but turning from our sin.  It takes a steady diet of self-examination and allowing the Holy Spirit to point out areas in our lives that need to change.  Sin will be dealt with.  We can deal with it now or God can deal with it one day.  We as Christians have been called to a higher standard than the world around us.  It's time to be a little uncomfortable and give ourselves a true self examination.  Our surroundings, personality type, and personal comfort level should not move us, but rather God's love and plan for our life should set the course for what we do and say.  


Matthew 6:33 
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment